We’re back for volume three of Circle Pit, Dust Up’s weekly round-up of news, music and more from Richmond, Va.
We made it through another Welcome Week unscathed! Let’s all take a break from mourning the loss of parking spaces anywhere near VCU to check out some new music!
- On Saturday, September 2nd, Lava Presents hosts the Girls Rock! Lava Minifest at Toast in Norfolk featuring RVA’s Saw Black, Doll Baby and an acoustic headlining set from Lucy Dacus.
- Thursday Aug, 31, In Your Ear Studios hosts Shockoe Seminar // Music Law featuring guest speaker and music lawyer Justin Laughter. The seminar will cover songwriting and sound recording law as well as band entities and agreements. Tickets are $50 adv // $75 door and proceeds benefit JAMInc and SPARC.
- On Friday, September 1st, Circle Thrift presents Brandon Hurtado‘s debut solo exhibition, Second Space, spanning nearly 5 years of prints and music.
- Also on Friday, September 1st, Gallery5 hosts their First Friday’s art opening of Noah Scalin’s 130 Years of Ubercorp with music from League of Space Pirates, Flashlight Tag and Maximum Zero.
- On Thursday Champion RVA & Slimehole host the final show in their August series of record label showcases featuring Egghunt Records‘ Big Baby, Dazeases and Camp Howard.
- On Thursday The Camel hosts their 20th and final Songwriter Night featuring The Wimps, Stu Ruiz, Drew Barnocky, Ali Thibodeau, Hannah Goad, Gray Stephenson, Becca Zuckerman, Tony Farris, Aerica Lauren & Eliza Whitmire.
- FM Skyline, a new vaporwave side project of Pete Curry from Crystal Pistol Records, released their debut music video, “Deluxe Memory Suite,” created by Brad Kutner.
- Christi released their album Christi II at their final show at Strange Matter. Stay tuned for video coverage of their performance coming soon!
- Blush Face released the second single, “Love for a Ghost,” from their debut album, What Do You Want?, out on September 23rd. Check out our feature story on the band available here.
- Mikrowaves released a new single, “Varmints of Love,” from their upcoming album Nice Things coming out on Crystal Pistol Records on Thursday, August 31st. They celebrate the release at Flora on Thursday with Brunswick and DJ Rattan.
- Silver Twin released a new song, “Noodle Girl,” from their upcoming debut EP.
- Tavishi released a recording of their live performance at The Anderson Gallery on 8/25 with GOLD FISH (ft. 金魚). The piece was themed around “decolonization, inter-personal /inter-racial relationships and distance/separation from one’s self and heritage.”
- Minor Poet released And How?, their debut record via Egghunt Records.
- Toward Space released three new singles recorded at Sound of Music Studios. They also host a show at Sound of Music on Aug. 30th at 8pm.
- Haircut released “Boys Club,” the first track from their upcoming 7” Shutting Down via Feel It Records.
- Illiterate Light released Ego Flora I, a new EP and the first of a trio of EPs to be released through next year.
Upcoming Shows Playlist
Our playlist of bands performing in Richmond over the next week. Hopefully there’s a little something to encourage everyone to #gettothegig!
Want your announcement, new release or event featured in Circle Pit?
Send your ideas and information our here, and we’ll add them to the list!