Welcome to Circle Pit, Dust Up’s weekly round-up of local music news, releases and more!
Did we not just experience one of the most prolifically awesome weekends of live music in recent memory? Friday, Saturday and Sunday all boasted multiple kickass shows: crowds showed up early, folks tipped their bartenders and bands ripped all across the city. You go, Richmond!
Let’s keep it up with some upcoming news and events for this week…
- Richmond Fight Back Fest, formerly known as Richmond Punx Picnic, announced that this year’s event will benefit CARITAS (Congregations Around Richmond To Assure Shelter). CARITAS works with people experiencing homelessness and addiction, providing permanent housing and career solutions for those in need. The fest stretches across Friday, Saturday and Sunday of this week including Dead Boys, Night Fall, Death Sex Advocates and a host of other bands.
- Buzzard Dust announced their debut LP out Oct. 13th via Forcefield Records.
- Flora announced the second show in their monthly benefit series on September 30th featuring The You Go Girls, Naked Pictures and Slump to support Defend Cville.
- Silver Twin hosts their EP release show on Saturday, Sept. 16th, at The Camel featuring Lady Empire, Young Scum and The Folly.
- Wednesday at Glave Kocen Gallery the Richmond Folk Festival premieres this year’s poster with artist Chris Milk Hulburt and music from Josh Small and Andrew Ali.
- On Tuesday, September 19th, Virginia Jazz: The Early Years opens at The Valentine alongside a series of events by the Richmond Jazz Society. Check out a preview in the Richmond Times-Dispatch for more info.
- 6131 Records announced a screening of Don’t Break Down, the critically acclaimed Jawbreaker documentary, at The Byrd on October 22nd.
- The Southern Belles announced a fall tour in support of new album, In the Middle of the Night.
- On Sunday, September 17th, The Cyreniacs release their new EP at The Camel with EDB and Cupid McCoy.
- The Weak Days shared a nostalgic pool party music video for “Non Sibi” from their new record, Everything is Tight.
- Samarra, last week’s RVA Bandcamp of the Week, released their new digital EP We Feel We Are Accomplices.
- Night Idea released “Perfect Water,” the first single from their upcoming album Riverless out October 13th via Gigantic Noise and Citrus City.
- Thorp Jenson premiered a new song, “All We Have Is Time,” from his upcoming debut LP Odessa out on October 20th.
- Ryan Azada and the Psychic Readings premiered a new song, “Stay,” via New Noise Magazine. Their debut EP Make You Run comes out on November 6th.
Upcoming Shows Playlist
Our playlist of bands performing in Richmond over the next week. Hopefully there’s a little something to encourage everyone to #gettothegig!
Want your announcement, new release or event featured in Circle Pit?
Send your ideas and information our here, and we’ll add them to the list!