Welcome to Circle Pit, Dust Up’s weekly round-up of local music news, releases and more!
I’ve professed my love of Fall each of the past two or three weeks, but seriously how great has it been in Richmond lately? So many awesome shows, album releases and fun times to share with everyone. I’m a day late on the column this week, but to make up for it here’s an even more wild list of upcoming events and releases. than usual! Let’s dive in…
- Sammi Lanzetta signed to 6131 Records and will release her first EP For Avery on October 11th. She released the first single, “Circles,” last week and just announced the release show on October 12th with Illiterate Light, Piranha Rama and SNF at The Camel. Learn more in our writeup of the debut single with an exclusive new video here.
- On Tuesday, September 19th the Richmond Jazz Society celebrates the opening of VA Jazz: The Early Years, a gallery at The Valentine. Live music begins at 10:00 am and runs throughout the day including Debo Dabney, Dr. Weldon Hill and Lucy Kilpatrick.
- Legendary Nova punk band Pageninetynine returns to Richmond for the first time in six years on Thursday, September 21st, at The Broadberry with Majority Rule, Sick Bags and Future Terror. The show is a part of a benefit show reunion tour, raising funds locally for the Richmond Reproductive Freedom Project. Learn more about their comeback in Nathan Grice’s article here.
- Also on Thursday Charlottesville’s Erin and the Wildfire host night two of their album release celebration at The Camel with Sid Kingsley and McKinley Dixon.
- On Friday, September 22nd Pride Month celebrations continue at Kabana Rooftop with Loud & Proud Pride Party benefiting OutRVA and VA Pride featuring music from Richmond’s Bobby LaBeat and Amy Alderman.
- Also on Friday Black Liquid‘s Facemelt Friday returns to Strange Matter for Vol. 37 featuring Goad Gatsby, Chris Haskins and many more!
- Saturday morning at 10am The Byrd’s Family Classics Series hosts a screening School of Rock.
- Saturday night Blush Face celebrates the release of their debut album, What Do You Want?, with a free show at Hardywood featuring Bad Magic, Gull and Go Cozy.
- Also on Saturday Strange Matter hosts the first Queer Bait Ball featuring Kuni, Trapcry, Ann Artist, Yohimbe and more.
- On Saturday The Broadberry hosts RVA Live!, a special event with Matthew E. White, Natalie Prass, Bio Ritmo, Clair Morgan and Tim Barry backed by the Richmond Symphony at The Carpenter Theater. Check back later this week for a preview of the show by Dust Up’s Craig Zirpolo.
- On Sunday Dave Matthews Band hosts A Concert for Charlottesville at Scott Stadium featuring Pharrell Williams, Justin Timberlake, The Roots, Cage the Elephant and more.
- Also on Sunday Gray Stephenson hosts their first edition of The Camel Singer/Songwriter Showcase featuring Sammi Lanzetta, Ali Mislowsky, Caitlin Lane and Jaylin Brown.
- Addy, aka Adam Watkins of Wester Green, released their debut solo EP re call.
- Fun/Cool, featuring members of Deer Eat Birds, released their debut EP Jank Rock.
- Indie rock group The Cyrenaics released their new LP, First Begotten Sun.
- Singer/songwriter Eli Gardiner released a new LP, Virginia Rose.
- Queercore quartet DEVIANT released their debut EP, demo 2017.
Upcoming Shows Playlist
Our playlist of bands performing in Richmond over the next week. Hopefully there’s a little something to encourage everyone to #gettothegig!
Want your announcement, new release or event featured in Circle Pit?
Send your ideas and information our here, and we’ll add them to the list!